Applying for New Dawn Charter School II is easy, but please read the instructions carefully. Per the approved charter application, New Dawn Charter High School II is a transfer school, but will also accept any student in the 8th grade that is 16 years of age or older. For the 2020-2021 school year, incoming students must be in grade 9, or 16 years of age or older with fewer than 17 credits accrued toward a high school diploma (this includes 8th graders that are 16 years of age or older).
New Dawn II has a rolling application period and we accept applications 12 months out of the year for admission in September and February. However, those students who apply by April 1st will be included in a lottery and if picked, will be guaranteed enrollment in the following September. To ensure access to transfer students, students may complete the lottery application for enrollment in February. These students will be added to the wait list and will be enrolled if there is available space.
You can apply in three ways:
- You can apply below on the website
- You can print out the application, complete it and then fax to 347-505-2516. Student Application.pdf
- You can call us at 347.947.2580, and we will mail you a lottery application. You can print out the lottery application, complete it and mail to: New Dawn Charter High School II, 89-25 161st Street, Jamaica, New York 11432
Please call us at 347-505-9114 if you have any questions. Updated address and contact information in our Jamaica location will be updated when our plans are solidified.
- Proof of residence: This can be a utility bill (but not a cable bill), lease, HRA application, or any government-issued ID.
- Birth Certificate
Admitted students are also required to complete and submit the following as part of the enrollment process:
- Enrollment Form: This form is used to record all basic information about the student and the family, including home, work, and emergency telephone numbers.
- Parent/Guardian Consent to Attend: It is extremely important that a parent or guardian sign this form.
- Free and Reduced Price Meals Application: This form must be completed for all students and will be held in strict confidence.
- Immunization Records
- Medical Forms: This set of forms must be submitted for all students within the first 30 days of attendance. It is the responsibility of each parent to keep their child’s medical information, including food allergies, up to date.
- Record Release: This form gives the school permission to obtain all records pertaining to a given student from his or her previous school. It must be completed and should include the telephone number and address of the previous school, as well as the signature of a parent or legal guardian.
- Transcripts from All Schools Attended Prior to New Dawn
- IEP or 504 Modifications
It is critical that the school be notified immediately of any changes in a student’s name, address, phone number, responsible parent, or any other information provided at the time of registration. Such changes should be communicated in writing and sent to the Principal.
Placement of Incoming Students
Students also take a series of assessments during orientation that New Dawn II staff determine grade and classroom placement. These include the following:
- Scantron Series (diagnostic tests in a variety of subjects including language arts, mathematics, social studiesvand science); and
- Home Language Survey (used for placement in ELL programs).
For the 2019-2010 school year, all students enrolled will be in 9th grade. This includes any student coming from the 8th grade that is 16 years of age or older.
Whenever possible, incoming students’ report cards and/or progress reports are reviewed for course placement and credit. If a student has made satisfactory progress at his/her transferring school in a course, then he/she may be able to get full credit for the equivalent course at New Dawn II, given that he/she completes all stated requirements by the end of the term. The degree of partial credit granted hinges on consultations between the Principal and respective instructors.
New Dawn II complies with all confidentiality laws protecting the privacy of its students and their families. Information regarding a student’s progress will be shared only with parents or guardians, appropriate members of the school’s faculty and staff, and any professional consultants retained for the purpose of measuring and/or improving instructional quality. When information regarding student performance is made public, it will be presented in such a way as to avoid the identification of specific, individual students.